Here are some of our favorite breastfeeding websites. Did we forget any? Email us: email@example.com
Biological Nurturing: Laid back breastfeeding – Biologicalnurturing.com
- This website details the work of Dr. Suzanne Colson who has studied natural breastfeeding positions and reflexes in babies and mothers. The site includes research and videos of “laid back” nursing where the mother lays in a semi-reclined position and gravity helps the baby to locate the nipple and latch. For moms-to-be and moms with nursing problems, this is a helpful strategy for making breastfeeding comfortable and successful.
Breastfeeding Inc – breastfeedinginc.ca
- This site is the creation of Dr. Jack Newman and lactation consultant Edith Kernerman. It features excellent videos of babies latching correctly (and incorrectly) at various stages of learning to breastfeed. The breastfeeding information articles are also excellent resources for breastfeeding problems such as nipple pain, mastitis, and instruction for performing breast compressions.
Breastfeeding USA – https://breastfeedingusa.org
- Breastfeeding USA, Inc. provides evidence-based information and support, and promotes breastfeeding as the biological and cultural norm. We accomplish this through a network of accredited breastfeeding counselors and comprehensive resources for the benefit of mothers and babies, families, and communities.
Chicago Area Breastfeeding Coalition – http://chicagoareabfc.org/
- The mission of the Chicago Area Breastfeeding Coalition is to encourage collaboration among Chicago area breastfeeding advocates in order to more effectively protect, promote, and support breastfeeding.
Drugs and Lactation Database – toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
- Not sure if a drug you have been prescribed is compatible with breastfeeding? This site is “a peer-reviewed and fully referenced database of drugs to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed. Among the data included are maternal and infant levels of drugs, possible effects on breastfed infants and on lactation, and alternate drugs to consider.”
InfantRisk Center – infantrisk.com
- This site is Dr. Thomas Hale’s (author of Medications and Mother’s Milk) online resource for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. “The InfantRisk Center will be dedicated to providing up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding. Our goal is to provide accurate information regarding the risks of exposure to mothers and their babies.”
Kellymom: Breastfeeding and Parenting – Kellymom.com
- This website features articles on evidence-based information on breastfeeding, sleep and parenting. Edited by a mom of three who is also an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). This site is the go-to information site for moms and breastfeeding professionals alike!
La Leche League International – llli.org
- La Leche League (started in Chicago!) is an international organization that supports and promotes breastfeeding through information, events, local groups and advocacy. Find your local LLL meeting here.
Low Milk Supply - lowmilksupply.org
- “This website provides information and support to mothers who are experiencing low milk production.”
Mothers’ Milk Bank of the Western Great Lakes – http://milkbankwgl.org/
- Mothers’ Milk Bank of the Western Great Lakes is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to save lives and promote healthy beginnings by providing pasteurized donor human donor milk by prescription to preterm and ill babies. Another part of our mission is to educate area health professionals and families about human milk as the standard of care.
Nursing in Public (NIP) with the Badass Breastfeeder – http://gentleparentinfo.com/BadassPublicBreastfeeder.html
- Sign up for the Badass Breastfeeder’s FREE e-course on learning to nurse in public!
…And, great breastfeeding blogs/forums!
Blacktating (Breastfeeding News and Views from a Mom of Color) - blacktating.com
Breastfeeding Reporter (Nancy Mohrbacher) - nancymohrbacher.com
Mothering - mothering.com/breastfeeding